Friday, November 21, 2008

Father of the Year?

Ok folks, I think we have a contender here....
  • So I failed to mention that the long 3 day weekend we had together at the beginning of the month was the opener of deer hunting season. Doug traditionally goes hunting with his Dad each opener, no matter the weather, no matter...well...anything. He had this vacation planned again this year, then was told about the mandatory training. This year he voluntarily decided to stay home since he had been in Texas all week. I had not even mentioned it!

  • Yesterday was a Thanksgiving lunch at the daycare for all the parents and kids to join the staff for a meal and celebration. I took Collin home after the lunch, but all he wanted was DADDY!..Not in a normal "want what is not in front of me" way, but in a sobbing, "oh my God, where is Daddy!" way. Doug was scheduled to go to an event at Concordia St. Paul that evening to learn more about the grad school program he will be starting this spring. He found out that Collin wanted him and opted out of the event...even coming home early from work!

  • I think it was a residual effect from the afternoon "crisis", but Collin was a very restless sleeper last night. I think he was testing us to be sure we were both here and adequately at his disposal. Doug got up each and every time (and I mean there were a lot of times last night...), giving Mommy some sleep and Collin the Daddy time he craved.

  • (STOP reading if you are not good with bodily functions) Today Collin is clearly coming down with a bug of some sort. Mostly labored breathing and some coughing, a slight fever...nothing major, but still it breaks my heart. At dinner the coughing turned into "regurgitation"...which has always been Daddy's weak point...He sees it or hears it and I have 2 sick boys to deal with. Through the last 2 years he has slowly adapted, as all good Daddy's do, and tonight did a very "mom" thing...and spared the carpet some major cleaning with some very quick moves. He also took charge of the bath that automatically follows that type of thing...

So, definitely in the running for Father of the Year...at least in my book!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like aontender to me! Especially allowing the deer to be spared! ;-)

Katie said...

That should say, "Sounds like a contender". Typing with one hand difficult! Kiley was in the other. :-)