Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Merry Christmas Tree

We took the plunge this year and put up our Christmas tree. For years when we were first married, I insisted on having a "real" live tree. Doug pleaded for a "fake" one. I don't recall his argument at the time...to be honest I don't know how much I listened....

After a few years, I eventually gave in (mostly to end the pleading, not so much because I was convinced) and we purchased a tall beautiful tree for our home. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that whenever we had children a "fake" tree may be more convenient anyway for the first few years. No pine needle sap or sharp needles in the carpet if we get lazy with watering or wait too long to take it down, etc. As a married couple we put it up every year and part of our Christmas gift to each other was a new ornament. We slowly added little elements to add to the elegant white and gold tree that we displayed each year. In 2006, (left) the year Collin was born, we also "decked the halls" with all of our ornaments.



Last year Collin was in a very exploratory mode at Christmas time. The big tree, which was the subject of all this debate for years, was never put up. We have a variety of other decorations and we scattered those throughout the house, and used a small fiber optic Christmas tree as our family tree for the year (Christmas Eve 2007, right)...very easy to keep on the entertainment center or move when needed.



This year, Collin, Doug and I were all excited to get back into the Holidays and put up the tree, as we listened to Christmas music (see video) and ate cookies.




We did skip a few of the more "tempting" decorations, such as the ribbon and icicles we typically wind around the tree. Still, even without these elements present, Collin finds it "beautiful". It is topped by an angel that my Grandma Rose used (right). My guess from the style is that it was purchased in the 1920's. I remember putting that angel on a tree with her each year growing up and am so happy to have that remembrance on my own family tree now.





Each morning when we come upstairs the first thing I have to do is plug the lights in on the tree. And, as I do I so, I sense myself giving in again, and we will have a "real" tree next year.




Christmas Tree, 2008












"Baby New Year" wearing Christmas stockings? Hmmm....



1 comment:

MoSchu said...

What a sweet video!!