Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter

Happy Easter Weekend!

We are spending the weekend "back home" with family so that we can have some time with my Aunt & Uncle's family as well as Doug's Mom, the usual assortment of Rosenau siblings, nieces and nephews and Doug's Dad. So, this morning was our family Easter fun before we hit the road.

Growing up, since the Westphals are a pretty small family even when including extended family, most holidays were pretty mellow. Easter was never really made into a large event, but I do remember getting a chocolate bunny every year and coloring Easter eggs at the kitchen table with my parents. I also made an "egg tree" with my Grandma Rose that she took out every year even long after I was grown. What I have very vidid memories of, however, is my Grandpa Albert at Easter. Grandpa was a pretty "stoic" man...your classic dedicated workaholic framer type. He was happiest when he was outside in the fields or in the barn. However, each Easter this man would lead me to find an Easter basket that the bunny had hidden in the garage. This bit of whimsy was remarkable enough that, even as a child, I knew it was a special memory I would always keep with me.

This year, Collin's morning started out as usual...until he started to spy the Easter eggs we had hidden around the living room. An Easter egg hunt began with lots of giggles. He then found the Easter basket, complete with a new bedtime book, markers (washable), some toy cars and, of course, his very own chocolate bunny!



We've spent the morning together enjoying these goodies, making new memories of our own. I wish all of you a very Happy Easter full of great memories too!

1 comment:

Katie said...

You do such an excellent job writting! I love your memory stories!

Happy belated birthday too! Where is that blog? ;-)