Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day...almost

I have a legitimate right to enjoy St. Patrick's day...even though only by a small percent. My maternal grandfather has some Irish background, so that has always been good enough for me.



Even before I fell in love with Guinness, I enjoyed St. Paddy's day. I remember each St. Patricks day while I was in elementary school I would bring a special treat to share with the class. Although some of the treat changed, each year each child in my grade at Buffalo Lake elementary was guaranteed a shamrock sticker and those Andes mints (which I still adore). I think I even continued that into Middle School, although by then we were switching classrooms so I chose whichever class had the most of my close friends in....



St. Patrick's day is a great holiday and is truly one of my favorites. There is no pressure to buy gifts, no required family get togethers, no pressure to have a "special someone" to share it with, and no leftover bags of candy in the house (unless you want it there). Plus, did I mention the Guinness?



Anyway, to celebrate this most wonderful of holidays, I hope to regularly post a little Irish humor to brighten each day.



Enjoy:



An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding in Connecticut . The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest’s breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.He says, ‘Sir, have you been drinking?’‘Just water,’ says the priest.The trooper says, ‘Then why do I smell wine?’ The priest looks at the bottle and says, ‘Good Lord! He’s done it again!’

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Hello - I get so few comments on my blog and love the occasion that I do. THANK YOU for blogging and sharing the fun from your family!!! Hope you all are well. How is grad school for Doug?

Andrea

Our Family said...

His classes are starting later this month after a 2 day orientation at Concordia. We'll see how the family survives juggling jobs, the whims of a toddler and school!